Saturday 8 October 2011

Theories of Child Development

My second post today :)

My reflections on Fiona's lesson last week.
Initially when we were told to explore the areas of development (P.I.L.E.S) and the components of these, I was a bit confused and did not understand. But after a little bit of help from Fiona I was well on my way :).
I find the theories of child development very interesting and have chosen to focus on Cognitive development and Piaget's theory for next week.
Piaget believed children were active in their own learning, building their own perception and understanding of things. By the child linking past experiences with their present ones, they would start to get a true concept of the world at a very early age.

Piaget's stages of Cognitive development:
- Sensori-motor Stage: Birth to two years
- Pre-Operational Stage: From around 18 months to seven years
- Concrete Operational Period: Seven to Eleven years
- Formal Operational Stage: Twelve years onwards


I have found a video on YouTube that gives an overview of his theory and outlines these stages of development.


2 comments:

  1. This is dead on , the lone scientist . This view however does forget the child is shaped by his environment and feedback from peers or family .:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That you tube clip is well good, really puts it into "normal" language! Like the bit where he questions whether we should be teaching children things we already know. Cool. You'll have to teach me how to get you tube clips in your blog!

    ReplyDelete